25 January, 2011

a means to an end

The whole meaning of prayer is that we may know God. - Oswald Chambers

(photo by PS)















How much do I believe this? How much does my life demonstrate that I believe it to be true?
The statement moves me. It convicts me. I agree with it completely but I don't think I always remember or embrace it's meaning. Most believers, including myself, often use prayer as a means to an end but not the end He intends. We want something so we ask. We need help so we pray. But where I want to fall is with those who pray for want of one thing - Yahweh himself. David heralded his own cry to know God in Psalm 27 when he said,

"
One thing have I asked of YAHWEH, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of YAHWEH all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of YAHWEH and to inquire in his temple." (vs 4 - ESV).

This is my desire - to know the only true God, and Jesus the Messiah, whom He sent (Jn 17:3). We will know great peace and deep satisfaction as we seek God for God while not failing to make known our requests to Him with petition and thanksgiving (Phil 4:6).

No comments: